Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Acceptance

Yesterday I got my e-mail from Google: my project is among the accepted ones, I can participate in Google Summer of Code this year! I just can't describe the happiness I felt then. It's something like a dream came true for me.

So this is my very first post in my very first blog, where I will describe my progression during GSoC in 2013. I hope it will be as much fun to read as I think it will be to write.

My project (in a nutshell) is the following: https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/uruk/53001
I have a detailed plan for the next few months and I hope I will be able to accomplish everything I described earlier. On the other hand, I don't take ScummVM as a one-time thing, so it won't be a tragedy if I don't finish my project by the end of September. (But of course I will try my best to do so.) I'd really love to stay in the community and become a developer myself with this engine, and later with other projects. I think the organization's goals are great and I am proud that I can contribute to the success of it.

The actual coding will begin by the 17th of June, so I'll start posting regularly by then. See you later, my dear reader! I hope we'll have a great summer together! ;)


P.S.: Sorry for my English well in advance - I am not a native speaker and never been the best with the language itself.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Peter. It's a very happy moment to see life in the project again after fifteen years! I'll be following along closely; please let me know if I can help at all.

    Thomas Thurman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thomas! I hope I'll be able to meet your expectations as well! :)

      Delete
  2. What about Denarius Avaricius Sextus (Avaricius) and Avaroid (incomplete, it seems)? Does it use the same game engine? Is it a hardcoded one?

    Oldie page's author about the "Avvy Project" games:
    http://www.angelfire.com/id/tjat2/avvy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be possible, but I am not exactly sure. I think Thomas will be able to answer you this question, becouse he is one of the original authors. :)

      Delete
    2. @timofonic: When we wrote Avalot, we'd learned a lot of lessons from writing Avaricius. One of those lessons was that some sort of game engine was needed. We had a design for such an engine ("Avalanche") and Avalot was much of the way towards using it, though some parts remain hardcoded.

      But because Avaricius uses so many similar ideas to Avalot, it would be entirely possible to port Avaricius to Avalanche. Once Peter is successful with porting Avalanche to ScummVM, I'll have a look at doing that.

      Avaroid was planned but (I'm fairly sure) no code was ever written, though some of the resources were made.

      Hope this helps; if you want to know more, just ask.

      Delete
  3. @Peter:

    I've been working on documenting the Avalot sources here: https://github.com/tthurman/avalot/wiki

    It'll grow over the next week or so, of course. If you need to know anything I'm not covering, please do ask and I'll put it in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way I already like to ask something from you: I just can't find 2 include files in the sources, so I can't compile the code. The missing ones are these:
      ROOMNUMS.INC
      DSMI.INC
      There may be others missing, but these are the only ones I could detect yet. The compiler won't continue without the ROOMNUMS.INC file and I can't comment it out because it's content is required in multiple places (as I perceive). I found the other one by searching for ".INC" in all of the sources.
      Please contact me at koppirnyo (at) gmail (dot) com if you can help! Thank you in advance! :)

      Delete

    2. There are two .INC files, ROOMNUMS.INC and DSMI.INC, which are missing from the repository. These files are presumed lost, but this problem can be worked around.

      DSMI.INC was the interface to a third-party sound library. It should not be necessary for a port; if it's necessary to compile the original, the routines can be stubbed.

      ROOMNUMS.INC contained symbolic constants for all the rooms in the game, mapping their names to their serial integers. If needed, I can recreate this file without much difficulty.

      https://github.com/tthurman/avalot/wiki/Missing-INCs

      Delete
    3. That'd be a great deal of help and I'd be very thankful if you would do that to help me. :)

      Delete