Monday, June 23, 2014

A girl and her sausage

Yes, the title is misleading on purpose. Sorry, I just couldn't miss it. :D

Now the facts: As I promised in my last post, I was able to implement the inventory system, I fixed the speech bubbles, and many more. Let's see them one by one!

In this picture, you can see a perfect example of the now correctly placed speech bubbles. Also you may notice that the texts are finally in English in the game - as well as you can see the currently detected game version on the top border of the window. Of course, the translation is far from complete, but you can trust me that Arnaud did a great work already and he is progressing with it more and more each day. I am very thankful for his efforts, as always. :)

You may also notice the little candy above Vincent's head at the bottom left corner of the screen. That's the inventory, and each playable character has 4 slots in which he/she can store items. And yes, it's implemented and fully working too. :)

And here is our darling, Anna, who is also playable now thanks to another bunch of implemented functions in the command parser. She has an almost full inventory with a lot of things in it. (Notice the sausage! ;D)
As always, I left the least interesting thing for the end: it's the implementation of the little switch on the right end of the toolbar, next to Anna's inventory. If clicked, it displays this little menu where the player can decide to exit the game or keep on playing it.

Finally, bad news: as I also predicted it, I wasn't able to implement the pathfinding fully before the midterm evaluations. There are some scenes (now we are able to reach the 5th, even if it's not completable), where the pathfinding works, and some where it just doesn't. I am a bit puzzled over it, and did a lot of debugging already but I fear the problem is not with the engine's logic, but with our FXP implementation behind the coordinates. Yes, that stupid FXP again...

The next week will be dedicated to this problem, and I hope that next time I will be able to show you a video with an example of the working pathfinding. :)

See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment